[cc-community] Creative Commons vs. FSF+GNU+SFLC+SFC+...

Maciej Pendolski beholder0x100 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 07:45:53 EST 2011

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not.

It seams to me (I might be completely wrong) that Creative Commons is
"only" involved in licence creation/maintenance and spreading good
word. I am curious it if would be possible that CC (or parties related
to it) could find enough resources to build a stronger organisation
which would also be capable of e.g. host  CC-licenced projects
(something media-agnostic (game content, music, images, ...))(on the
other hand though pretty much anything can be hosted on Internet
Archive), be involved in licence litigation (if CC is not) and more
importantly (at least to me) to have something like Software Freedom
Conservancy (http://sfconservancy.org/) (Please point me to such
organisation if one exists).

E.g. let's say that in the future I would like to release my works
under CC-BY-SA but I would also like my copyright transferred/assigned
(are those two a same thing?) to some trusted entity which could deal
with copyright infringement when I won't be here any more (in which
case whoever would control my copyright could be tricked into
selling/giving it to someone or something like that) or when I simply
would not want to spend time to deal with copyright enforcement. And
there are also trademarks, domains, donations collection, perhaps some
kinds of conferences/meetings, ... And there are also websites like
http://www.safecreative.org/ where copyright can be "confirmed".

I thought I'll just ask about it even though I realise it is rather
unlikely for CC to take this much of responsibility and money can be a
problem. I known that above stuff is not being done directly by FSF
(in a software world) and that those are external services but perhaps
CC could at least sponsor/create/support/promote some organisations
like that. And it would be nice to have some clear relation between
those services to make whole "system" appear to be more consolidated.

E.g.:
I know there is a Projects section and CC search on a CC website but
only single service can be selected and results are on the target
website. Perhaps some kind of partnership with those services to
provide results in a specific, consistent format and also search
through multiple services at time and support more services, ...
Perhaps service providers could render results themselves but in a
specified, consistent style and then multiple frames could be used to
display results, ... This should reduce bandwidth requirements. And
perhaps "Find CC-licensed works" button could be replaced with a
search box and placed at the top of the main page to be clearly
visible. And maybe some clearly visible statistics about number of
CC-licenced works (of course duplicates would be an issue), ...

Of course those are just some quick random ideas which (along with
other ideas) could turn CC into a centre of open/sharable art,
content, ... and make it appear to be a more "reliable" and powerful
entity. Stronger Creative Commons could enhance trust in CC licences
(IMO). Surely some other paths of potential "growth" of Creative
Commons could be proposed and discussed to see all potential
directions in which CC could go (to dominate the universe).