[cc-community] publicity rights (was Re: NC/ND)

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Mon Dec 19 18:38:04 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 4:57 AM, drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> wrote:
> For instance, I am wary of putting photos of people under a BY-sA license
> which I would be happy to put my other photos under (if they ever make it
> stronger and I was doing until I figured out its weakness) as publicity
> rights and privacy rights are areas in which I do not even come close to my
> poor understanding of copyrights.

I'm sure drew knows this, and not publishing photos including people
under BY-SA is his choice, but FWIW CC licenses simply don't cover
publicity rights, and I don't know how they could. The copyright
licensee may need additional rights beyond what the copyright licensor
has offered. This is mentioned on all CC license deeds and in
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions#What_are_publicity_and_privacy_rights.3F

If anyone has concrete suggestions as to how such may be better
explained, feel free to send (here, the FAQ's talk page, or as you
wish).

Mike