[cc-community] Are translated versions of CC BY-NC-ND 3.0 España different licenses?

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Mon Dec 19 13:58:51 EST 2011

On Monday 19 December 2011 10:25:55 jonathon wrote:
> On 14/12/11 21:14, Johannes Weißl wrote:
> > I think there is a misunderstanding here... my question was not if
> > ported and unported are the same, but if the different translations of
> > one ported license are the same.
>
> What you are missing is that there is that not only is there no
> guarantee, but history has demonstrated that the ported licenses and
> unported licenses are _NOT_ congruent with each other.

Jonathon, that is not the concern being expressed.

I will give a hypothetical example to perhaps illustrate again.

I am from the Bahamas. So let's say the Bahamian lawyers ported for our laws.

CC BY*/BS

OK so far.

What is being discusses is something I have never heard of so far. So far, in
my experience, each ported license had been expressed in one language.

US is in English.
ES is in Spanish,
FR is in French.

What is being asked though is what happens if the port for BS is found in more
than one language.

He is not asking if different ports are equal to other ports or to unported.
Rather is one port, expressed in different languages is equal for the
different languages.

At least that is how I read it. Port once for the jurisdiction then translate
that single port to other languages that apply to the port.

I thought of an example to check after beginning this. Canada. English and
French. I checked. Here we go:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/ca/
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/ca/legalcode.en
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/ca/legalcode.fr

> jonathon

Now, I am not saying your example does not apply to the question, I just don't
think it specifically answers the question clearly.

It would seem obvious that they *should* be equal. I guess the obvious
question would be what happens if mistakes are made in the translation?