[cc-community] NC/ND

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Dec 15 09:12:17 EST 2011

> For instance, I am wary of putting photos of people under a BY-sA license
> which I would be happy to put my other photos under (if they ever make it
> stronger and I was doing until I figured out its weakness) as publicity
> rights and privacy rights are areas in which I do not even come close to my
> poor understanding of copyrights.

For photographs I think the truth is that nobody does. It's quite fun
watching data protection lawyers pondering questions around EU DP law and
photographs. There are some truely horribly legal mines just waiting to
go off and nobody wants to be the one who sets it all off.

In particular a photograph of someone often identifies ethnicity and can
identify sexual orientation or other things which are sensitive data
items in DP law where you must have explicit permission. That would mean
things like the written permission of anyone present being needed to
publish all kinds of 'general' shots, and probably override public
interest for news rules....

Alan