[cc-community] NC/ND

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Thu Dec 15 08:37:55 EST 2011

On Thursday 15 December 2011 08:19:49 Anthony wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM, drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> wrote:
> > Actually, altough it may at first seem counterintuitave, *if* cc is going
> > to drop one of BY-NC and BY-NC-SA, I think that BY-NC should be dropped
> > and BY-NC-SA kept.
>
> BY-NC is an especially strange license.  If, for noncommercial
> reasons, I included a BY-NC work inside a GPL work, and licensed the
> derivative as GPL, would I be violating either of the two licenses?

I am not a lawyer and can't really answer that.

I would say that if someone took you seriously on your GPL license of the
derivative and sold copies or did other "commercial" things with it, they
would be in violation of the original BY-NC license but perhaps I
misunderstand how the whole thing works. Perhaps someone with a better
technical/legal understanding can enlighten us.