[cc-community] NC/ND

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Thu Dec 15 07:57:15 EST 2011

On Wednesday 14 December 2011 15:39:48 Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 15:24:44 -0500
>
> Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM, drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> wrote:
> > > I was trying to give an analogy. I will restate the above in CC terms.
> > >
> > > Many people are fine with non-Free culture. That does not mean they
> > > walk hand in hand with those who are concerned with Free culture.
> >
> > I don't see how the two are mutually exclusive.  Can't someone be fine
> > with non-Free culture, but also be concerned with Free culture?  Sure,
> > RMS doesn't fit under this category, but many other people do.
>
> Even RMS does at times. He's very fussy about nobody being allowed to
> remix his talks, and the GPL itself is effectively a non-free document.
> Also my guess from talking to him is that for a lot of stuff outside
> software he'd say "I don't know" rather than extrapolate.

I don't agree with his take, but I think one reason people take such stands /
options is because, current copyright law has much bigger teeth and easier to
use teeth than other laws which we may have to accomplish some needed things.

For instance, I am wary of putting photos of people under a BY-sA license
which I would be happy to put my other photos under (if they ever make it
stronger and I was doing until I figured out its weakness) as publicity
rights and privacy rights are areas in which I do not even come close to my
poor understanding of copyrights.