[cc-community] NC/ND

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Dec 14 20:54:00 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Joe Corneli <holtzermann17 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I mean, are you seriously suggesting that CC encourage mass piracy as
>> a way to "contribute to the commons"?
>>
>> I must be missing the sarcasm somewhere.
>
> I'm just a little more tentative than that.  Basically, I'm saying
> that we should try to understand what "the commons" is.

One of those places where tragedies happen, right?

I do find it interesting that CC chose the word "commons", and wonder
whether that's really what they meant, or if it's just a term used for
marketing purposes.

> http://thepiratebay.org/policy is pretty clearly a recipe for managing
> "a commons".

"we do block people that use our service wrongfully (i.e. commercial
organisations that have not cleared the usage with us first)"

That doesn't look like a commons at all.

> It would be a good to take the time to watch this recent video:
> http://vimeo.com/22633948
> "Copyright is not essential in Science" - Lessig

It's not essential, but it sure makes it a lot better.  Without
copyright, access restrictions would be even tighter.

> JSTOR is so morally offensive. http://fax.org/fHhcVQ $20.00 for a
> 6-page article, unless you happen to work at a fancy school. --

What's morally offensive about it?