[cc-community] NC/ND

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Dec 14 19:08:04 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Joe Corneli <holtzermann17 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Joe Corneli <holtzermann17 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The historical fluke that Aaron Swartz happened to download files
>>> without permission is un-interesting to me.   What is more interesting
>>> is what would have happened if he had re-uploaded them without
>>> permission.
>>
>> The files are public domain, aren't they?  If they're public domain,
>> and he had permission to download them, he doesn't need permission to
>> "re-upload" them.
>
> He downloaded more than 4 million documents.
>
> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/07/swartz-arrest/
>
> The public domain trove released by JSTOR includes about half a
> million public domain documents.  So I'm guessing most of his 4
> million documents were not public domain.

I see...

That part's not very interesting, though.  What happens to people who
engage in copyright infringement on a massive scale, if they get
caught, is pretty well known.

But when you referred to "contributing to the commons", you meant the
public domain documents, right?

Otherwise, I don't see how you can say that CC-NC content doesn't
contribute to the commons, but pirated proprietary content does.

I mean, are you seriously suggesting that CC encourage mass piracy as
a way to "contribute to the commons"?

I must be missing the sarcasm somewhere.