[cc-community] NC/ND

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Wed Dec 14 16:26:41 EST 2011

On 14/12/11 21:11, Mike Linksvayer wrote:

> RMS does fit in this category, for come categories of culture
> (software not among them, obviously). See
> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/copyright-versus-community.html (search
> for "categories"). It's an interesting delineation, but not all that
> well known nor agreed with, AFAICT. Plenty of people vehemently
> disagree,

Hi. ;-)

rms' categories are coherent but he's talking about freedom of use. The
CC licences are concerned with freedom of speech. It's possible to treat
software as a matter of freedom of speech as well (this is why the EFF
was founded). But in any case the *mechanism* of alternative licensing
works as well for copyrighted texts that aren't software as for
copyrighted texts that are.

> The relatively narrow questions about what public licenses ought
> include, and how such things might be tweaked and communicated, so as
> to be most effective at cultivating the commons, are what's discussed
> here. And I think that people only interested in free, and those
> interested in both free and non-free, ought be able to be roughly on
> the same page -- the common objective is a vibrant commons, regardless
> of what exists outside of that.

Absolutely. Alternative/public licences can only be a small part of more
general reform. But they are a very important part of that reform both
practically and as a statement of principle.

- Rob.