[cc-community] NC/ND

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Dec 14 15:24:44 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM, drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> wrote:
> I was trying to give an analogy. I will restate the above in CC terms.
>
> Many people are fine with non-Free culture. That does not mean they walk hand
> in hand with those who are concerned with Free culture.

I don't see how the two are mutually exclusive.  Can't someone be fine
with non-Free culture, but also be concerned with Free culture?  Sure,
RMS doesn't fit under this category, but many other people do.

>> The problems with the NC licenses go far beyond that.  They muddy the
>> waters as to what is permitted.  In fact, the way they are implemented
>> *confuses* authors as to what they are permitting.
>
> I agree that NC is broken even if I thought it should be a part of CC. I don't
> agree that it ever should have been a part though.

I agree.  I think NC is a horrible license on many many levels.  The
whole thing reaks of "feel free to help me distribute my work, so long
as you do so to your own detriment".

But I don't think this is the proper argument for why NC should [no
longer] be part of CC.

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:
> On 14/12/11 17:41, Anthony wrote:
>>
>> I think NC is a terrible license because it doesn't fit with the
>> principles of CC, not just because it's "not Libre".
>
> So let's push as hard as we can to get some official recognition of this
> in 4.0. :-)

How?  What should I do to help?

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 3:18 PM, jonathon <jonathon.blake at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14/12/11 17:41, Anthony wrote:
>> For NC licenses to cover *use* of a work they would need to be EULAs, and they are not (they explicitly are not).
>
> There are those that treat CC-BY-NC-ND as a _Your Rights Removed_ EULA.

I'm tempted to suggest that this be embraced, and NC licenses be
written as EULAs similar to Microsoft's "Educational Use Only" EULAs.
But some people might not get the sarcasm.