[cc-community] NC/ND

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Dec 14 13:01:12 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> People do engage in
> commerce copying and publicly distributing free works.  For instance
> Cheap Bytes sells Linux and similar CD-ROMs/DVD-ROMs.  But this it
> doesn't seem to me is the kind of "commercial use" that authors are
> concerned with.  In fact, I would think most authors *like* that their
> works are getting distributed cheaply to people who might not be able
> to easily download a copy for free.

I should say that I'm referring here to authors that choose an NC
license.  Some authors want to control the distribution of their works
(and personally I don't think there's anything wrong with that).  But
for those people there's no need for a CC license.  They can just use
All Rights Reserved.  If they want to allow people to make a limited
number of copies for their friends, they can hand out such permission
along with their distribution, which they control.  There's no need
for a CC license.