[cc-community] NC/ND

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Tue Dec 13 21:26:49 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com> wrote:
> <cc at phizz.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 13/12/2011 23:25, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
>>> implied by 1-3, NC further restricts the overall value of the commons
>>> because it is fundamentally not compatible with fully open licenses,
>>> meaning the commons is more fractured, smaller, and less impactful
>>> than it could be
>>
>> That is solely the problem of the 'open licenses'. It seems to me that
>> some are quite capable of mashing up NC licenses without any problems to
>> create a comprehensive educational resource:
>
> This debate sounds more and more like the BSD vs GPL war.

No, it doesn't. The debate analogous to the one over whether/when BSD
or GPL is appropriate is the one over whether a project should use
CC0/CC BY or CC BY-SA. Sometimes that's an interesting debate, and it
is somewhat pertinent to 4.0 -- an option is to increase the
differentiation between BY and BY-SA through increasing the scope of
BY-SA's copyleft and/or adding compatibility with other copyleft
licenses -- but it is not at all what is being discussed in this
thread.

Mike