[cc-community] NC/ND

Patrick Anderson agnucius at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 20:42:32 EST 2011

Joe Corneli wrote:
> Must Creative Commons take a stance against Open Access?

Imagine we modify that question - replacing "Creative Commons"
"The Free Software Foundation".

Are educational texts more valuable than software?

Is source-code not a type of educational text?

> I certainly don't know what the answer is.  No doubt MIT OCW
> and so forth have done some good things for society.
> But so has The Pirate Bay.

And what about all the data and code currently being
protected by the GNU GPL?

Sorry if this has already been covered in this thread, but I
want to stress the GNU GPL actually *disallows* distributors
from adding NC/ND restrictions.

A distributor of a GNU GPLed work who attempts to forbid
commercial distribution or attempts to forbid derivatives is
in violation of Copyright law.

Patrick Anderson
http://ImputedProduction.BlogSpot.com