[cc-community] NC/ND

Joe Corneli holtzermann17 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 20:13:41 EST 2011

Thank you all for your enlightened responses!

To quote briefly from the report I mentioned:

«The recently released 2010 Horizon Report
(http://www.nmc.org/pdf/2010-Horizon-Report.pdf), a collaboration
between the New Media Consortium and Educause, predicts that open
content will reach mainstream within one year and the
"Time-to-Adoption of open-content textbooks that can be 'remixed' –
that is customized, modified, or combined with other materials - is
one year or less."  Part of the appeal of open content is that it is
also a response to both  the rising costs of traditionally published
resources and the lack of educational resources in some regions, and a
cost-effective alternative to textbooks and other materials.»

«Open content and open access textbooks are instructional resources
that can be used,  reused, often remixed and customized under a
creative commons license that permits  the author/s to retain
ownership of their content, yet establish the rights under which the
content may be used by others (www.creativecommons.org).    Creative
Commons licenses are free, easy-to-use legal tools that are
standardized, globally accepted and understood in many languages to
support open content including open access textbooks.»

 -- http://www.theorangegrove.org/pdf/OATTF_Final_Report_All_sections.pdf

That stuff about "often remixed and customized under a creative
commons license" is what would be known in the wiki world as "Weasel
Words".  Yes, CC often implies "remixable" in a general context, but
it almost invariably does NOT imply "remixable" within the so-called
Open Access context.

The question is not "which license should I use", but "Where are the
remixable textbooks??"  -- Gone the way of the flying cars, I'm
afraid.

To quote from the 2010 Horizon Report mentioned above:

«At the center of many discussions of open content are the challenges
of sharing, repurposing, and reusing scholarly works; related to those
discussions are concerns about intellectual property, copyright, and
student-to-student collaboration, and solid work has been done by
groups such as Creative Commons, the Academic Commons, Science
Commons, and others to address many of the concerns commonly voiced.»

And yet, the concerns (at least from where I stand) continue to apply.

Yes, it is a radical question, but I think the question should be
asked:  Must Creative Commons take a stance against Open Access?

I certainly don't know what the answer is.  No doubt MIT OCW and so
forth have done some good things for society.  But so has The Pirate
Bay.

My "ideological" stance is that I don't want myself or others to have
to spend the next decade re-doing work that other people have already
done, work that probably nine times out of ten matches one of the
criteria (1)-(4) (for use of NC/ND) laid out by Mike, and yet, I am
conscious that this is almost certainly exactly what is going to
happen.  Indeed, it seems that this is what is happening (perhaps
predictably, in Latin America) [1].

"Don't cry over spilt milk" they say.  But let's not pour gallons on
the ground in the coming decade [2].  (I'm not being the least bit
facetious: I think the comparison is fairly apt).

[1]: http://ariadne.cti.espol.edu.ec/xavier/papers/Ochoa-iSociety2011.pdf
[2]: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/130190/