[cc-community] NC/ND

Chris Sakkas sanglorian at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 18:31:01 EST 2011

Hi folks,

I've been following these discussions with interest.

I don't think it's feasible to remove the 'Creative Commons' label from NC
and ND licences. One thing that makes CC distinctive and - I suspect -
successful is that it offers a range of licences all united under the CC
brand.

However, I think NC and ND licences could be discouraged by explicitly
noting that they are non-free, non-libre, non-open licences. Free, libre
and open are terms that have a lot of cachet that are more narrowly defined
than most people think. If people were made aware that their CC NC book
isn't 'open source', that may encourage them to use CC BY or BY-SA.

What do you think?

*Chris Sakkas
***