[cc-community] How Does Google Index CC-friendly MP3s?

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Fri Feb 27 23:00:15 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 6:54 PM, David Delbridge
<creativecommons at rigel7.com> wrote:
> I'm publishing MP3s on my website for indexing by CC-friendly search
> engines.  How does this work?  Neither Google nor Yahoo! describes
> clearly what must be done to get an MP3 audio file CC-indexed.  Does
> Google, for example, read the MP3 audio file's ID3 frames?  Or, does
> Google index the URN:SHA1 tag (RDFa) embedded in your MP3 audio file's
> official download page?

No search engine that I know of does CC aware indexing of audio. I
suspect the first one that does will look at descriptions of http URLs
returning audio files rather than URNs with hashes of the files. The
latter is primarily intended for use by P2P clients to verify that the
URL they have a reference to is talking about the file with the
reference ... turned out to not be a big use case.

> I've studied the example RDFa code fragment on
> http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Nonweb_Tagging but am confused by the
> clarifying statement, "This fragment includes the statement
> <urn:sha1:MSMBC5VE...."  Huh?!  No it doesn't!  Is there a typo here or
> am I misunderstanding something?

It could be explained much better.  Both have the same statement
(subject, predicate, object), first as RDFa, second as something
N-Triples like.  The page needs to be rewritten for clarity.

See http://www.w3.org/Submission/2008/SUBM-ccREL-20080501/ for a
longer and hopefully clearer exposition.  For a music site, I'd to
start with recommend simply something like

--
 http://support.creativecommons.org help us
 build http://creativecommons.org/asharedculture