[cc-community] Extending CC into physical space

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Fri Feb 27 07:58:16 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

> Where it all goes pear shaped is that people will want to make
> modifications - to improve it, to produce with different matters, or
> different sizes etc.
>
> The CC attribution, sharealike license extends to the artwork but doesn't
> cover the results. Thus someone could improve the kit and providing they
> don't share the artwork itself take their improvements effectively out of
> the CC space.

I suggest using the GNU General Public License rather than BY-SA.

Declare the design to be the "source", and the item made from it to be
the "binary".

So if I take a design, modify it, and make it, anyone I give (or sell)
the made version to can request the modified design from me under the
terms of the GPL. That wouldn't be true with BY-SA, which doesn't
require disclosure of modified preparatory work.

Assuming, as other people have pointed out, copyright holds here.

- Rob.