[cc-community] by-sa and exlusive edition

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Tue Sep 30 22:22:38 EDT 2008

Dr. Peter Troxler (Waag Society) wrote:
> however, my self-distribution of their edition also depends on my
> marginal costs (as you rightly point out) but also on my production
> and distribution ability, which might or might not match theirs

I don't see that there is any real difference between "production cost"
and "production ability", since there are services you can just hire to
do this kind of thing for you (like the Lulu example -- i.e you can just
buy the ability from someone who has it). This is obviously going to be
more expensive than a mass production run, but it sets a limit nevertheless.

Also note Drew's comment about how there are other players as well.

> if we assume that I cannot match, what is the benefit of by-sa over
> plain by -- other than "keeping them honest"?

Well, I'd say that "keeping them honest" is worth quite a bit in itself,
so I don't see that as a problem. At least not if you mean the same
thing I do by that expression.

Cheers,
Terry