[cc-community] by-sa and exlusive edition (was: Guidance about Patenting and the best License for a Book)

Dr. Peter Troxler (Waag Society) peter at waag.org
Tue Sep 30 12:02:04 EDT 2008

On 30 sep 2008, at 01:12, Terry Hancock wrote:

> The By-SA license is "free", which means
> that material can be re-used in free resources like Wikipedia, etc.
> But
> in order to make an _exclusive_ derivative (say, in a commercially-
> sold
> book), they would have to buy a license from you.
> (...)
> If they do want to have an exclusive, so as to be able to charge more,
> they'll have to come to you for a royalty agreement, and you'll get
> some
> of the income.

Terry: can you help me to understand your reasoning here?

-- are you saying that if something is licensed under a by-sa license
and given away for free then licensees have to give it away for free
as well and cannot develop it into a paid-for product (e.g. by adding
their own material, distributing it in some special format etc.)?  is
that paid-for product (e.g. by adding their own material, distributing
it in some special format etc.) what you call "an exclusive"?

/ Peter Troxler
/ Senior Project Manager
/ Waag Society :: Nieuwmarkt 4 :: 1012 CR Amsterdam :: The
Netherlands :: +31 20 557 9898