[cc-community] ASCAP

Jamison Young jam at iarts.cc
Tue May 13 07:25:21 EDT 2008

> What stops a person outside of the US (I am in fact) from joining
> ASCAP or BMI
> and not their local CS? If they can, what are the implications?

It's not a problem for an artist to join ASCAP outside the US. All
foreign artists have to do is fill in a US tax form and send it in
with their application. They are not able to join online as they
don't have a social security number. Might be implications when
applying for cultural funding in some countries if the artist was to
join ASCAP. Yet i doubt that an artist could be openly refused
funding for this.

Prior to the Buma/Stemra project this project started. http://
www.icommons.org/nodes/project-dac .After the Buma project got
started this project stopped. Is this project going to start again?

Buma look at everything that in the past that has collected a royalty
as being a commercial use, and i can't see how this could change. My
experience from touring the Netherlands is that Buma/stemra is the
same as SABAM.

best,
Jamison