[cc-community] CC Licenses and translation rights

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Thu Jan 31 11:23:31 EST 2008

Quoting Ocetalo <zelus.et.radix at gmail.com>:

> There are two more cases I can think of, given translation is a derivative
> work:
> 1st. Case: I want to allow any derivative works but translation. Translators
> must ask my permission.
> 2nd. Case: I want to allow any derivative works including translation.
> However, I'm not allowing translation of the title.
> Or I'm allowing transliteration only (one line placed below the title), but
> not translation. Why doing this? Style reasons...

Note that you probably won't want a derivative work to carry the same
title as your work. It's confusing, and in the case of derivatives you
don't like it's potentially embarrassing.

> Now I think this can get wider: authors should be able to "restrict" any
> limited piece of text, be it the title, one paragraph, some or every quotes,
> some or every dialogs, whatever, again for his own style reasons.
>
> What do you think?

The idea of arbitrary restrictions has been tried with previous
licences and has not proved very popular.

The GNU Free Documentation Licence allows some sections of a text and
e.g. front and back covers of books to be restricted.

The Open Gaming Licence allows sections of the text, and various words
in the rest of the text, to be restricted.

In both cases these are among the most unpopular terms of the licence.

- Rob.