[cc-community] CC-like video release form

Jon Phillips jon at creativecommons.org
Fri Jan 25 01:42:15 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 11:56 -0600, Terry Hancock wrote:
> Matthew J. Agnello wrote:
> > I just don't know if providing public model releases would be
> > considered providing legal service beyond providing public licenses. I
> > know they try to avoid toeing the law firm line. Something to consider
> > for CC, if they want to provide those releases.
>
> Aren't they both just licenses?  We're just talking about expanding from
> "copyright licenses" to "publicity rights licenses" here.
>
> And as Drew points out, this is hardly a "law firm" role: I can go to
> the bookstore and buy standard legal forms from "Nolo Press". They're
> considered a publisher, not a law firm.
>
> Just out of curiosity, since CC has plenty of licensed lawyers on staff,
> why does CC care whether it's a "law firm" or not? Tax status or something?
>
> Cheers,
> Terry

try 2.5 lawyers...not a lot...

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ#Will_Creative_Commons_help_me_enforce_my_license.3F

Jon

--
Jon Phillips
jon at creativecommons.org
cell: +1.510.499.0894 (80% time)
desk: +1.415.369.8486 (20% time)

Business + Community Manager
Creative Commons
www.creativecommons.org

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be
legal advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be
legal advice.  Creative Commons cannot and does not give legal advice.
You need to assess the suitability of Creative Commons' tools for
your particular situation, which may include obtaining appropriate
legal advice from a licensed attorney.