[cc-community] CC-like video release form

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Thu Jan 17 22:21:58 EST 2008

drew Roberts wrote:
> On Thursday 17 January 2008 10:20:24 Terry Hancock wrote:
>>drew Roberts wrote:
>>The above was quoted out of context.
>
> Not sure if you were responding to me or Fred, if me, I am not sure your quote
> being out of context affects my posting.

Well, both. Fred quoted it out of context and you responded. I was
pointing out that this was a bit of a red herring (I didn't say what
Fred evidently thought I said). I just wanted to keep us from going off
on a tangent because of that.

>>Also, everything that applies in this case, must ALSO apply to a
>>commercial stock photo, right?
>
> I would think so. And to a BY-NC-ND photo possibly. Since using one to

Please note that from here on, you are muddying the difference between
the *license* on the work (which is between AUTHOR and LICENSEE) and the
       *release* on the likeness contained (which is between SUBJECT and
LICENSEE). These are (and must be) two separate legal instruments.

The release cannot be included in the license, because it has to be
granted by a different person.

The proposal here is that CC also host standard *release forms* that
could be used with the corresponding licenses (or perhaps be written
cleverly so that they work with any of the licenses). Content creators
could then get these releases signed by their subjects and publish them
alongside their own license for the work, thus covering users on both
the copyright and publicity issues, and making it possible for CC works
containing people to be legally in the clear.

Basically, it's a solution for the embarrassment from the Virgin brouhaha.

Cheers,
Terry