[cc-community] input for LiveContent v2.0

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 08:00:08 EST 2008

On 16/01/2008, Fred Benenson <fred.benenson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for making you cough -- I blame my flickr addiction.
>
> Anyway, I think dumping the 2007 (or previous) Featured Photos into
> LiveContent 2.0 would be a great idea.
>
> One thought: how best can we preserve / show metadata when putting files in
> an archive like this? Just putting files in a directory will probably not be
> enough, EXIF data might be fine, but how do we make sure it's got author
> name / link as opposed to just camera data? Can you point me to the place
> where people are talking about the big zip archive?

Actually, for the metadata reason, the 2006 & 2007 FPs are perfect. As
that metadata had to be extracted to create the archive, you can use
that and not worry about having to extract it yourself.
The 2006 archive of around 350 images was seeded on bittorrent but
didn't really take off. You can see thumbnails of them on this page:
<http://tools.wikimedia.de/~bryan/poty2006/list_date.html>

I can follow up about the availability of that, I don't think the guy
who did it would have just deleted it after all the work it was. :)

The 2007 ones are here:
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2007/Galleries>
and in the voting software there are fields for author and license and
they're all complete. (NB, a lot of our images are GFDL licensed, and
also multilicensed. I trust this is not a problem...)

The archive hasn't been mentioned much onwiki but we are preparing it
at the moment. Are there any special requirements I should mention to
him? What's the deadline on this?

cheers,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/