[cc-community] CC-like video release form

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Tue Jan 15 15:47:59 EST 2008

On 1/15/08, Matthew J. Agnello <matt.agnello at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to adapt the BY-SA license to make a copyleft version of a video
> release so interviewees don't have to be concerned about having their
> contributions becoming proprietary (that is, released under traditional
> copyright limitations). This would still allow commercial use, but it would
> require releasing the derivative (my documentary) CC BY-SA.

Adapt the BY-SA license is probably the wrong way to think about it,
because you wouldn't actually be changing the license.  Your
description in your first post on this thread sounds right to me:

"I'd like to put those fears to rest with a CC-like release form. My
idea is to have them sign a one or two sentence contract that
basically says, I release my image/likeness to you for the purposes of
your project under the terms of a Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike licence, the text of which can be found at the
following link. Following that would be the human-readable version of
the licence and the legal code URL. If the person wanted a copy of the
CC text, I would have printouts with me."

Of course IANAL...

FWIW there's been a fair amount of discussion about release forms here
in the past

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Alists.ibiblio.org+release+form+cc-community

I believe someone was cataloging such forms, but I don't recall where.
Jon Phillips should know.

Mike