[cc-community] CC-like video release form

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Tue Jan 15 15:30:04 EST 2008

Fred Benenson wrote:
> IANAL,  but it is my understanding that you don't own the copyright to
> your voice unless you record yourself and own that recording.

IANAL either, but yes. This is because copyright only applies to fixed
forms.

If you improvise a speech you don't have copyright on that because it
isn't fixed, so someone else can fix it in a recording and claim
copyright on that.

If you are reading from a manuscript you have copyright on that and
therefore on any recordings of you reading it because those are
derivatives of the manuscript.

This is also of interest for improvisational theatre, dance, jazz, and
generative art. :-)

- Rob.