[cc-community] Question re: CC License and radio

Kevin Phillips (home) tacet at qmpublishing.com
Mon Jan 14 20:21:57 EST 2008

Hey Tim,

I'd guess the first question with regard to NC : is this a "commercial" enterprise aka is there any form of revenue based advertising etc?  ok, from the website (which I don't think is so absolutely terrible as you made out btw ;) I see there's an underwriting thing going on.  Underwriting aka advertising.  I'm not a lawyer, though this does seem to be pretty straight forward.....we've discussed many times on here that NC means NC, much to the frustration of people like me who have posted and remix via ccMixter under NC only to find that blogs and radio stations which obey the letter of the law can't/won't/don't want to know.

So, this is your first problem, if you manage to get beyond this somehow you have a second more technical problem.  NC requires that you pay-per-play CC artists just as you would Billy Joel.  This is due to the collection agency (aka Sound Exchange) fees not being waivered in the NC license, silly as it may seem that's how it is.  Oddly nobody seems to know where the money actually goes, presumably into SE's "unsigned" John Doe pot.

Best of luck with the radio station :D  Maybe look for some BY/BY-SA licensed material, Jamendo or Kompoz might be more fruitful in that direction than ccMixter btw (ccMixter has materials by signed artists to protect). Collection Agency fees are waivered on BY/By-SA  licenses afik, so you shouldn't even need to pay Sound Exchange when playing these recordings.

Kev