[cc-community] Is it the Music or the Musician?

Shakti S mail at shakti.id.au
Sun Jan 13 18:34:05 EST 2008

Hi Kevin,
	Thank you for your comments, at least someone took the effort to
comment, unfortunately rather than a discussion you were trying to
create an argument. This I feel can be useful sometimes, however in
the light of the present situation of the potential of world outcomes
it is talking about trivia while Rome burns. I was trying to make
some quite profound points in an effort to shift a very destructive
paradigm, back to a more human and cooperative one.
	Did you know that competition moves against our actual evolutionary
process as the human race. The fact that the whites of our eyes are
visible suggests cooperation rather than a predatory nature. The
predators have pupils that cover their whole eye making it difficult
to anticipate what they are about to do. Being able to anticipate
someone else's  actions is more useful with cooperation. Competition
is predatory.
	There is a point where conflict is useful, and that is to bring
others out of a sleep, but when everyone is hyperactive, then they
will only destroy each other. But even in that usefulness, there are
also alternatives that do not require conflict.
	So getting back to my point, which relates to the mutual usefulness
of human beings in their attempt to live a life of  fulfillment and
comfort. The way we are doing it at the moment fails because while
20% can discuss trivia, the other 80%  do not have that luxury, but
strive just to exist. The pop star that flies around the world
displaces hundreds of competent musicians that are quit capable of
fulfilling that need in those places.
	While the paradigm now is to replace human effort with technology,
have a look at what it is achieving. Then analyze the outcomes in
terms of needs and satisfiers, followed by asking the question: is it
functioning? While 30,000 children die of starvation every day, and
2.5 billion people do not have potable water, I think you should
review your opinion on "opportunity". There is a definite problem
here and I am trying to address it by the shift of the human
obsession with the possession of objects to the celebration of what
people do.
	In terms of needs and satisfiers the technological attempt to
simplify the complication of learning and then playing of music
fails, because it is equally complicated, it just displaces the
fulfillment of the mastery of a virtuoso, and the experience in the
moment of the uncompressed analog live performance. But worse than
that it takes away actions of meaning and replaces them with mindless
tasks, for the musician who uses technology to play music takes
themselves out of that creative loop, they are only a small
percentage of the output. Compare improvising over a figured base
(which happens in real time) to audio editing (which happens in step
time).
	Does anyone else wonder what is more important: the Music or the
Musician?

Shakti

www.shakti.id.au