[cc-community] Another article about CC and photography. WAS: Why Photographers Hate Creative Commons

Jon Phillips jon at creativecommons.org
Tue Jan 8 22:10:11 EST 2008

In reading the comment thread, seems the commenters have done a fairly
good job of rebutting these long articles.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone who has read this believes there is
actually any constructive pieces to be addressed and/or added as feature
requests.

Jon

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 20:16 +0100, Burobjorn wrote:
> There seem to be some more questions raised by photographers.
>
> I just read this 'Creative Commons License Flaws Claimed' on
> Slashdot[1]. I've read the first article[2] of three and it contains
> some flawed examples and misinformed or wrong interpretations of the
> CC-licenses. However it also contains some -perhaps- valid points in why
> CC might not always be as useful/understandable for photographers.
>
> I don't have time to read all three articles written by the author Dan
> Heller at this moment, but perhaps other people have some spare time to
> engage in a constructive discussion with him about the CC licenses and
> at least clear up some of his confusion.
>

> [1] http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/08/01/08/1738232.shtml
> [2]
> http://www.danheller.com/blog/posts/creative-commons-and-photography.html
>
> grtz
> BjornW
>

> rob at robmyers.org wrote:
> > http://rising.blackstar.com/why-photographers-hate-creative-commons.html
> >
> > Short version: because they don't understand the licences. ;-)
> >
> > Some of the comments are good.
> >
> > - Rob.

Jon Phillips
jon at creativecommons.org
cell: +1.510.499.0894 (80% time)
desk: +1.415.369.8486 (20% time)

Business + Community Manager
Creative Commons
www.creativecommons.org

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be
legal advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be
legal advice.  Creative Commons cannot and does not give legal advice.
You need to assess the suitability of Creative Commons' tools for
your particular situation, which may include obtaining appropriate
legal advice from a licensed attorney.