[cc-community] Selling Music w/Samples

Robert theangryartist at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 04:41:11 EDT 2007

Hi, I'm looking for some clarification of license requirements.

I intend to sell a CD of music through CD Baby, a non-exclusive
distributor. I own the rights to my music, and there are no third-party
record labels involved. Some of the songs I intend to put on the record
have incorporated samples from ccMixter, licensed under the CC-BY 3.0 or
CC-Sampling+ 1.0 licenses respectively, depending on the sample. On the
back of the album cover will be liner notes. I have not yet published
the album, as it is still in production. I have a few questions about
these circumstances:

1. Currently the liner notes cite the samples and their respective
authors. Is there any other information I am required to put in the
liner notes, if I don't plan to license to songs themselves featuring
samples under the Creative Commons?

2. None of the song titles themselves cite sampled artists. If any of
the sample-featured songs are played on broadcast FM radio, would the DJ
be required to broadcast on the air all the samples used in each song?

3. CD Baby allows artists to sell music in online stores like iTunes and
Rhapsody. However, the only information given to the music stores by CD
Baby is the artist, album title, song list, and album cover - No
metadata included. Is there any way possible, including changing song
titles, to sell digital music while still meeting the terms of the
Creative Commons lisences? This is a problem because I can't change song
titles to say, "Song (feat. Artist 2)," etc. My remixes each use two or
more samples apiece (one uses eight CC samples), so citing every artist
in the song titles would be impossible if I wanted to keep song names a
reasonable length.

I have an idea of how to solve the problem, but I am not sure if it
would work. I can host my remixes on ccMixter, where every remix gets a
unique ID number. If I distributed (as an example)
http://ccmixter.org/media/files/Co3/11100 under the title "Look and Feel
years Younger (Co3 Rmx) (ccMixter 11100)," would that meet the terms of
the BY 3.0 license?

If I think of any other questions, I'll post those, too. Thanks for your
time.