[cc-community] for those who want "free only" buttons

Benj. Mako Hill mako at atdot.cc
Tue Feb 13 22:42:01 EST 2007

<quote who="Mike Linksvayer" date="Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 05:27:51PM -0800">
> http://freedomdefined.org/Logos_and_buttons
>
> I would strongly recommend users (including the Freedomdefined site)
> linking directly to the relevant CC license deed as this is what is used
> by Google and Yahoo! to identify licensed content.

That's a very good point.

I thought the RDF data was supposed to handle this?

If not (and it sounds like it won't), would any link in the "paste-in"
button code serve the purpose or do they look for that particular
button being served?

It seems that there should even be ways to embed an "invisible" link
back to the CC site into a button that still allowed to explain why
they license their works, as they license their works. Would something
like solve the problem you describe work?

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako at atdot.cc
http://mako.cc/

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS