[cc-community] Does BY-SA extend to a newspaper?

Benj. Mako Hill mako at atdot.cc
Sun Apr 15 12:07:53 EDT 2007

<quote who="rob at robmyers.org" date="Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 03:02:50PM +0100">
> The GFDL seems to define both texts and images as "documents" and
> replace the concept of derivation with the concepts of modification
> and combination. The reason that photographs would work as expected
> under the GFDL would be because it defines a modified version as:
>
> "... any work containing the Document or a portion of it, either
> copied verbatim, or with modifications and/or translated into another
> language."
>
> But this crucially assumes that an article illustrated by a photo
> constitutes a "work". From the discussion of using photography for
> illustration I'm not sure that it does. If it doesn't, it might be the
> case that you can just use the photograph under the GFDL's unmodified
> copying permission, which is how you can use a photo as an
> illustration under BY_SA.

AIUI, the FSF seems to have taken the position that it does. You're free
to disagree and take some one to court but you're going to have argue
against the GFDL authors about what they meant (despite the fact that
its been clarified in public).

Apologies I'm confusing this with something else. I don't recall the
details.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako at atdot.cc
http://mako.cc/

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS