[cc-community] Copyleft And Commerce

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Tue May 30 01:08:32 EDT 2006

> On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 01:22 -0400, Greg London wrote:
>> After re-discovering Magnatune recently, I spent a couple
>> weeks listening to albums trying to find a Rage Against the
>> Machine sounding track with the feel of "Renegades of funk".
>> or a track that has the feel of Jimi Hendrix's version of
>> "Machine Gun". I havne't found either one yet. it may not
>> exist on that site, but a tool that could let me analyze the
>> track I'm trying to sound like, and then give me some of the
>> songs that are closest to the sound of that track, would
>> have shortened by search time from weeks to minutes.
>
> You might want to try the MusicIP Mixer
> http://www.musicip.com/listener/products/application-downloads
>
> It does what you want, but all the tracks need to be on your local
> machine AFAIK.
>
> Also see http://blogs.magnatune.com/buckman/2006/03/bmat_recommenda.html

I installed musicip.
I had it create a mix of similar songs.
The seed song was "Over" by "Portishead".
It's a haunting, angry, relentless, emotional,
track. It's powerful. It's gritty. it's
a really cool track that I had in mind for
a video banging around in my head.

So, I had it create a mix.
the first song on the list is
"That's the way love goes" by Janet Jackson.
hwa?

Then I was curious if it actually analyzed
the data and figured otu attributes or simply
went to a central lookup table. So I had it
analyze the song "Seque" by Curandero from
Magnatune. A song I really like. Track 3 here:

http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/curandero-aras/

WHen I told it to find songs similar, it came
back with some complete misses, but then also
came up with "Stang's Swang" by Stevie Ray Vaughn,
which is actually a pretty good match.

It did seem to miss the fact that Seque was
instrumental and gave me a bunch of songs
with vocals.

So, I think it needs some tweaking....

I also noticed that it is proprietary software
and that the site charges $19.95 to get some
upgrades for better music identification tools.

That won't work for a FLOSS music website.

--
Barbara Bauer makes SFWA's 20 Worst Literary Agencies list
http://www.sfwa.org/beware/twentyworst.html