[cc-community] Copyleft And Commerce

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Mon May 29 01:22:42 EDT 2006

> On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 17:42 +0100, Rob Myers wrote:
>> On 26 May 2006, at 13:55, Greg London wrote:
>> > So maybe the problem is that the meta-data, super-searching
>> > idea is too diffuse for a seed project. Maybe what's needed
>> > is a search tool specifically for music. Can software analyze
>> > tracks and find beats, find keys, figure out if its in a
>> > major or minor key, and all that?
>>
>> I believe so.
>
> Humans can do this as well via tagging.

Yes, but the idea is that a guy who knows somehting about
guitars can go to wikipedia, type "guitars", and go immediately
to an article that he can contribute to, all without going
through human-generated tagging.

The point of the tool would be to characterize an audio
clip submitted by the new musician and find compatible and
similar tracks, even if the musician is completely unfamilar
with the terminology and means of characterizing the music.

If searching were based on human-based tagging, then
new contributers would have to become familiar with the
tagging to figure out what music they're want, then
get the tag info that would be assigned to their piece
of music, then search for music tagged with similar tags.

With a software recognition tool, the user records a guitar
track, uploads it to the tool, and the tool spits back
a list of compatible, similar tracks for other instruments.
All without know how the tagging or characterization of
music works.

The auto-characterization software means humans don't
become a bottleneck for characterizing music,
it means that a first time user of a site can immediately
find a track that is useful to them without learning
the intracacies of the tagging methodology, and it means
that people curious about the site will find it immediately
beneficial to them, and will also find it convenient to
find tracks that mix with what they submit, and to find
similar artists/contributers.

>> > So, maybe the seed project is really just a music
>> > search tool. Something that can listen to tracks
>> > and get its tempo, speed, major/minor, stuff.
>> > Maybe combined with a website so that it can track
>> > user's preferences, and allow users to "program"
>> > radio stations for other listeners, which then
>> > also helps music contributers find tracks they
>> > can use.
>>
>> Certainly this is a different, and very creative, way of approaching
>> the problem of getting a critical mass of work. It also keeps the
>> democratic element, which a central self-imposed free music
>> organisation might not.
>
> Somone should add the features to http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CcHost
> and run a pd/by/by-sa only instance. :)

The point is that bazaar/floss music projects seem to be
a kobayashi maru scenario because finding something you
can directly contribute to takes time.

After re-discovering Magnatune recently, I spent a couple
weeks listening to albums trying to find a Rage Against the
Machine sounding track with the feel of "Renegades of funk".
or a track that has the feel of Jimi Hendrix's version of
"Machine Gun". I havne't found either one yet. it may not
exist on that site, but a tool that could let me analyze the
track I'm trying to sound like, and then give me some of the
songs that are closest to the sound of that track, would
have shortened by search time from weeks to minutes.

A really good music search tool would change the rules of hte
game so that the Kobayashi Maru is a winable game.

--
Barbara Bauer makes SFWA's 20 Worst Literary Agencies list
http://www.sfwa.org/beware/twentyworst.html