[cc-community] Making money with By-SA

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Sun May 28 12:37:02 EDT 2006

On 26 May 2006, at 12:44, drew Roberts wrote:

> On Friday 26 May 2006 06:19 am, rob at robmyers.org wrote:
>> Quoting drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com>:
>>>
>>> I know, and if we can get his done with pure copyleft while
>>> people can
>>> still find ways to earn a living, I would prefer that route, but
>>> we may
>>> need to take some funny paths to get there.
>>
>> We have some ways mapped out already and a few people trying them. We
>> just need
>> to distract a few more people from the siren call of NC.
>
> Can you let us in on any of them at this time?

Sorry I meant the merchandising & performance (Loca) and Street
Performer Protocol (Elephants Dream) routes. These are all used in
proprietary culture as well, SPP is used by bands and by Russian
novelists.

> Now, perhaps all of the common ways of patronage end up with
> the patron calling the shots, but is that really the only way to go
> about it?

It's possible to shop an idea around for patronage. Damien Hirst
started this way, and SPP is a kind of distributed patronage.

>> BY-SA seems to be more similar to LGPL than GPL. The way you can use
>> BY-SA work
>> surprises many people in my experience.
>
> This is an interesting statement. Would you give some illustrative
> examples?

You can use a BY-SA photo in a proprietary essay (IIRC).
You can use a BY-SA essay in a proprietary journal.
You can use a BY-SA song in a proprietary album.
You can use a BY-SA show in a proprietary TV channel.

This is all due to mere aggregation, but it surprises people.

- Rob.