[cc-community] Copyleft And Commerce

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Thu May 25 16:23:53 EDT 2006

On Thursday 25 May 2006 04:09 pm, Kevin Driscoll wrote:
> > There really should be a Free Music Foundation that pays session
> > musicians an honest rate to lay down drum and guitar tracks,
> > commissions songwriters to perform acapellas, and gets the
> > documentation required to prove that the tracks are clean for use in
> > other BY-SA work. They may accept contributions from commercial
> > projects *if* they pass due diligence. This really is the sort of
> > project that is needed, there are artistic and video and literary
> > equivalents that are needed as well.
>
> <<
>
> I see the seed project comparison though I have to push back when we
> bring the analogy to music because of the nature of derivative audio
> recordings of music.  In my experience, sampling is rarely used for
> the sake of convenience (e.g. "I need a horn line and can't play
> trumpet.")  More often, sampling is used within a new work to
> reference the cultural context of the sampled recording.

But inagine instead that music did not come to you just as a final stereo
mixdown but as the full multitrack project file as well.

Imagine it also came with any midi files, abc files, and anything else that
could be considered the equivalent of source code in the preferred form...

> The free/open library would be valuable in a variety of other contexts
> (soundtracks, music education) but could not find the broad adoption
> we see in the GNU projects.  Few, if any, of the recordings would have
> the necessary cultural weight to impact popular music.

One place to start making such multitrack project files would be in each
countries folk tunes.

> A greater goal would be to inspire older artists to open their back
> catalogs.  There is a financial incentive as they may experience a
> spike in sales when a sample of their original recording finds popular
> success and there is also the reputational benefit of being associated
> with the open content movement.

How many artists actually control their back catalog?

> Kevin

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145