[cc-community] Displaying a CC-work alongside a non-CC work

Peter Brink peter.brink at brinkdata.se
Sun May 14 06:30:28 EDT 2006

Paul Dixon skrev:
> I want to present an unmodified, credited CC-BY-SA work in a webpage,
> and add additional information to the page which cannot be CC licenced.
>
> Have I created a derived work by association (and thus violated the
> licence as the result cannot be share-alike).
>
> I would contend that I haven't, as the original is unmodified, but I
> know sharp legal minds read the list so some clarification would be useful.
>
> To give a concrete example of what I mean, I want to take a CC-BY-SA
> work comprising a photograph+metadata, and display it on a page
> alongside a location map for which I possess the right to display, but
> not to sublicence. Would such a page violate the CC licence? There would
> be a clear visual markup to show that it was the image which is CC
> licenced and not the whole page.

Your webpage is a collective work (see CC-BY-SA art. 1.b). The license
grants yo the right to include a CC-BY-SA licensed work in a collective
work and to display and reproduce the collective work (art. 3.a). The
license don't require the other parts of a collective work to be made
subject to the terms of the license (art. 4.a). Thus, one can collect
works licensed under various CC licenses and "all-rights reserved" works
in a collective work without violating any of the CC licenses.

So IMO you do not violate the CC license.

/Peter Brink