[cc-community] Displaying a CC-work alongside a non-CC work

Paul Dixon paul at elphin.com
Sun May 14 05:41:13 EDT 2006

I want to present an unmodified, credited CC-BY-SA work in a webpage,
and add additional information to the page which cannot be CC licenced.

Have I created a derived work by association (and thus violated the
licence as the result cannot be share-alike).

I would contend that I haven't, as the original is unmodified, but I
know sharp legal minds read the list so some clarification would be useful.

To give a concrete example of what I mean, I want to take a CC-BY-SA
work comprising a photograph+metadata, and display it on a page
alongside a location map for which I possess the right to display, but
not to sublicence. Would such a page violate the CC licence? There would
be a clear visual markup to show that it was the image which is CC
licenced and not the whole page.

Paul Dixon