[cc-community] Invariant Video Sections

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Wed Jan 5 18:12:52 EST 2005

Adam Gautier said:
> The disire for invariant sections or should I maybe say invariant
> attribution is that we simply do not want someone to strip 1.) Us or our
> disclaimer and lisc information. 2.) We would like to define how we are
> credited.  There are specific rules on how attribution should take place
> in  something like text but from what I understand on video you are
> supposed to supply the credit on the download page, seperate from the
> video.

quoting:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/legalcode

+ 4a)
+ You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License
+ and to the disclaimer of warranties.

+ 4b)
+ If you distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or
+ publicly digitally perform the Work or any Derivative Works
+ or Collective Works, You must keep intact all copyright
+ notices for the Work and give the Original Author credit
+ reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing
+ in the case of a Derivative Work or Collective Work, at a
+ minimum such credit will appear where any other comparable
+ authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as
+ prominent as such other comparable authorship credit.

So, the CC-Attribution license prohibits someone from
stripping out any existing copyright notices, any existing
license notices, and any existing warranty disclaimers.
That should handle concern #1.

As for concern #2, it seems that the first part of section 4b
requires that credit must be given in a way that is
"reasonable to the medium and means". I've been told that
this has legal significance outside of creative commons,
so someone cannot arbitrarily decide to give you credit
by requiring people to send a Self-Addressed-Stamped-Envelope.

For a more specific requirement, the last section of 4b
says that if anyone gets credit in the video, then you
must get credit in the video.

If you supply your name, a URL that points to licensing
information for the work, and the name of the work itself,
those three bits of information must be supplied wherever
attribution requirements are taken care of.

No, it's not an invariant section at the start and end of
the video, but I think the cc-attribution license already
handles your concerns as it is.

Greg
I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.
I am not affiliated with Creative Commons.