[cc-community] freesound > questions from the creator(s)

Justin Morgan feedback at corfizz.com
Wed Apr 6 11:29:04 EDT 2005

This isn't legal advice, of course, but as far as I see it, with regard
to point 3, the sampling+ license is perhaps not the best for your
purpose. I would have thought it best to leave the choice of license up
to each contributor (like Wikimedia Commons), but that could get messy.
If somebody was making a very low-budget movie, and wanted to use a
Freesound clip because it was perfect for their purposes, then they'd
need to get permission because that would be a commercial distribution
of the entire work. As you say, the prospects for 'mashing'/re-working
sound clips are less than that for songs.

So I think cc-by or cc-by-sa would be better. If this were the case,
that movie maker could use it without asking permission, and the
name/username of the person who contributed the sound to Freesound would
appear on the credits list. If they needed to change the sound slightly,
they could do that, and with cc-by-sa they'd need to say that it was
under the same license. That's how I see it.

This page: http://creativecommons.org/technology/nonweb details tagging
mp3 and ogg files.

"2. for attribution; how do I supply the users with a way to attribute."
I think there needs to be a place where you can supply your real name
(if you want to). Maybe each download could be a zipped archive
containing the sound, a readme/authors text file and the text of the
license?

I may contribute to Freesound soon; it's a great site.

--
-- Corfizz, http://www.corfizz.com

I am not a horse.