[cc-community] License compatibility.

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at math.umd.edu
Sun Apr 3 20:36:26 EDT 2005

Mike Linksvayer wrote:

> You mean across jurisdictions, not languages.

Do I? I figured that if you change language you are effectively dealing with
a different license and have to worry about compatibility.

> Several jurisdictions currently have licenses written in English and two
> have licenses written in French.

Ok. Different language implise different jurisdiction, but different
jurisdiction does not imply different language. Right?

> The SA licenses explicity say it is permissible to use the same SA
> license from another jurisdiction.  Non-SA licenses don't mandate use of
> any particular license, so there shouldn't be anything stopping you from
> taking a BY 2.0 work and releasing a derivative under BY-SA 2.0 FR or
> whatever.

Hhmm... So... in effect, I can grab a work under CC license X from
jurisdiction Y and move it to license X under jurisdiction Z ?

Another thing, is a license from one jurisdiction, in general, illegal in
another jurisdiction?

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera          | I don't want it perfect,
Join OOoAuthors today!  | I want it Tuesday.