[cc-community] URL attribution requirements

Rob Myers robmyers at mac.com
Thu Jul 8 10:30:09 EDT 2004

All IMHO. IANAL, TINLA.

On Thursday, July 08, 2004, at 03:14PM, Greg London <email at greglondon.com> wrote:

>The license *URL* is included with the work

*A* *page* url is included with the work. Not *the* url for *the* license. The associated URL and the license URL are seperate considerations.

The license says:

"the Uniform Resource Identifier for, this License"

Note the use of "the", indicating specifically that URL for that copy of the license. If you ask me to provide the url for your credits page but instead I copy the page, add my own stuff to it and link to that, have I provided *the* url for your credits page? No. It doesn't matter if I've done "as good as" (assuming the additions don't "harm" the page), I have not complied with the license.

>the full license *TEXT* is include at http://www.greglondon.com/nc
>
>It is no different than
>
>vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
>title (content) (c) 2004 Me
>http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/legalcode

It is different as it doesn't point to *The* license. It also points to something that merely includes the license along with some other stuff.

>I could do the second one except for a couple of problems:
>(1) it doesn't actually say the work is licensed under cc-nc.

Nor does your version.

>(2) its a long URL

You can lose the "/legalcode", possibly.

>(3) I want an attribution URL that goes back to the original work.

That is (probably) what the BY associated URL is for. But it is a separate issue from linking to the license.

- Rob.