[cc-community] URL attribution requirements

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Thu Jul 8 10:14:50 EDT 2004

Rob Myers said:
> On Thursday, July 08, 2004, at 01:44PM, Greg London <email at greglondon.com>
> wrote:
>
>>the work does not have to 'say' it is licensed cc-nc, as far as I can tell.
>>I can say that on the attribution/license combo page, and if everyone
>>must include the attribution/license URL, everyone will know the work
>>is licensed CC-NC.
>
> But since the license URL must be included with (displayed with) the work,
> including it on the combo page:
> a) doesn't do this.
> b) licenses the combo page, causing an infinite loop. ;-)

The license *URL* is included with the work
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
title (content) (c)2004 Me
http://www.greglondon.com/nc
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the full license *TEXT* is include at http://www.greglondon.com/nc

There is no circular loop.

I include a link over to Creative Commons so people can investigate for
themselves.

It is no different than

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
title (content) (c) 2004 Me
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/legalcode
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I could do the second one except for a couple of problems:
(1) it doesn't actually say the work is licensed under cc-nc.
(2) its a long URL
(3) I want an attribution URL that goes back to the original work.

> You'd also need a statement saying "The page you have just come from is
> licensed....". I give it two minutes before someone starts using the combo
> page as a tarckback URL on Microsoft blogs. ;-)

No, that was the point of the /nc/ page saying:
"the following works are licensed cc-nc: title (c)2004 Me"
and then "title" would be a hyperlink back to the original work.

The work page links to the /nc/ page, which links back to the work page.
that part is circular, but it is only so that people can come to the
/nc/ page from a derived version fo the work on someone elses site,
click on the link, and see the original.