[cc-community] URL attribution requirements

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Thu Jul 8 08:44:37 EDT 2004

Rob Myers said:
> On Thursday, July 08, 2004, at 06:34AM, Greg London <email at greglondon.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Since the only way the person would know this is licensed CC-NC is
>>by clicking on the /nc/ link, they would then see the verbose
>>CreativeCommons boilerplate, along with this line:
>>
>>"with the associated URL specified as: http://www.greglondon.com/nc"
>>
>>That would follow the language of the license.
>
> Don't you have to *say* that the work is licensed next to the copyright
> statement?

I don't think so. I'm not entirely sure. I know the copyright notice
has legal significance to prevent "innocent infringement" claims.
I think you pointed out the only requirement in the license about
having the copy of, or a URL to, the license be included in any
copy of the work.

so if the work looks like this
=======
title
(body)
Copyright 1492 Greg
www.greg.com/nc
========

and if the /nc/ page looks like this
========
The following works are licensed under the Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial License. To view a copy of this license,
see below, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/
or send a letter to Creative Commons, 559 Nathan Abbott Way,
Stanford, California 94305, USA.

For attribution purposes, the name of the author is supplied as "Greg London"
and the URL to be associated with the work is "http://www.greg.com/nc"
and the title of the works are supplied as follows:

"Widgets" Copyright Greg 2004
"Trinkets" ....

(paste full text of cc-nc license here)
=========

the work does not have to 'say' it is licensed cc-nc, as far as I can tell.
I can say that on the attribution/license combo page, and if everyone
must include the attribution/license URL, everyone will know the work
is licensed CC-NC.