[cc-community] URL attribution requirements

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Thu Jul 8 08:19:18 EDT 2004

Rob Myers said:
> Also note:
>
> "You must include a copy of, or the Uniform Resource Identifier for, this
> License with every copy or phonorecord of the Work You distribute, publicly
> display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform"
>
> So there are two URLs to consider:
> 1) The license URL, which you *have* to put in or else you are in breach of
> license. You can't leave this out. It's in the T's&C's of the license.
> 2) The attribution URI, the distribution of which, if its present, is part of
> "payment" for using the work. If the author leaves this out, users don't have
> to redistribute it. If the author includes it, authors have to include it.
> This is seperate and different from the License URL, and cannot subsume or
> replace it because.

> If you want to include an attribution URI then it must be seperate from and in
> addition to the license URL:

what if one link points to both the full license text and the copyright notice?
If I take the full text of the license from here
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/legalcode
and paste it here  http://www.greglondon.com/nc
and then add the title of the work and copyright notice for the work,
wouldn't I satisfy both requirements with one url?

When it says "must include a URL for this license", does "this" mean >this< URL
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/legalcode
Or does "this license" simply mean a copy of the full license text will suffice?

A quick perusal of CC did not reveal what the license for the license is,
so I'm not sure if I can cut and paste the license text verbatim or not.
I would think so.