[cc-au] Through the Clock's Workings - Remix My Lit's first publication live!

Jessica Coates j2.coates at qut.edu.au
Tue Jun 16 04:42:49 EDT 2009

It's official - Remix My Lit<http://www.remixmylit.com/> has released it's first publication: Through the Clock's Workings<http://www.remixmylit.com/anthology/>.

Those who have been following our blog will remember the beautifully simplistic premise of the Australia Council<http://www.australiacouncil.gov.au/> funded Remix My Lit project - take stories from 9 prominent Australian authors, release them for remixing under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial ShareAlike licence<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/au/>, and see what happens.

Through the Clock's Workings gives us a taste of the result. Published by the Sydney University Press<http://www.sup.usyd.edu.au/>, this anthology brings together the original 9 stories - from authors such as James Phelan<http://www.jamesphelan.com.au/>, Cate Kennedy<http://www.scribepublications.com.au/author/catekennedy> and Kim Wilkins<http://fantasticthoughts.wordpress.com/> - with 13 of the best remixes. The remixes have a wide range of pedigrees - from masterclasses at writers festivals, writing jams at pubs, random site uploads. And the diversity is great - there are poems, abridgements, gender switches, complete re-imaginings. Even the cover of the the book you can see above is a remix of the stories by the excellent artist Ali J<http://www.alijart.com/>.

And of course, thanks to the CC licence, the whole book is available for remixing too - the original stories, the remixes, even the fonts are free for reuse. It's all part of the ongoing conversation between author and reader, creator and, well, creator.

You can buy a hardcopy<http://purl.library.usyd.edu.au/sup/9781920899325> of the anthology now from the Sydney University Press eStore<http://www.sup.usyd.edu.au/> - it makes a great present and has a fabulous cover. Or if you're comfy with reading from screens download the electronic version<http://www.remixmylit.com/wp-content/pdf/Through-the-Clocks-Workings-EBook.pdf>.

And remember, the anthology is just part of the story. Dozens more remixes are available on the Remix My Lit website<http://www.remixmylit.com/>, and (with any luck) more will continue to be added over the years). So why not continue the conversation and try some remixing yourself?

Jessica Coates
Project Manager
Creative Commons Clinic
Queensland University of Technology