[cc-au] copyright council

Derek Whitehead DWhitehead at groupwise.swin.edu.au
Mon Mar 10 22:19:22 EDT 2008

Hi everyone

Although the ACC is the largest provider of copyright training in our sphere, there is a lot of training around. Copyright officers at universities, for example, spend big chunks of time developing training materials and training people.

The Australian Digital Alliance has recently had a board meeting and AGM, and is considering putting together information on its site about training opportunities, to encourage diversity of approaches in training. It is also important that training emphasise the needs and interests of the copyright user, as well as the copyright owner. Check out the ADA website too - http://www.digital.org.au - your advocate for balanced copyright, active for almost a decade.

cheers

Derek

Derek Whitehead
Director, Information Resources and University Copyright Officer
Swinburne University of Technology
tel. (03) 9214 8333

Vice President, Australian Library and Information Association

>>> Rachel Cobcroft <rachel at creativecommons.org.au> 11/3/08 13:11 >>>
This discussion is valuable - often librarians and other information professionals are introduced to copyright through these channels.
The training sessions are heavily advertised in inserts to the professional magazines, such as the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA)'s inCite (http://www.alia.org.au/publishing/incite/).
Fortunately, the library sector is also a strong advocate of fair use/dealing, with provisions and policies being heavily debated in the blogosphere. (See http://www.travelinlibrarian.info/, for one, and then the implementation at http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/8056)
We still have to be vigilant though, to ensure that the balanced perspective endures :-)

On 11/03/2008, Jamison Young <jam at jamyoung.net<mailto:jam at jamyoung.net>> wrote:
> > == Australian Copyright Council "copyright training" sessions ==
>  > <http://www.copyright.org.au/training/training-2008/training2008.htm>
>  > These courses are held in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Perth,
>  > Melbourne, Sydney.

Best,
Rachel

Research Officer
Creative Commons Clinic
Queensland University of Technology
ph:  +61 (0)7 3138 9593
fax: +61 (0)7 3138 9395
email: rachel at creativecommons.org.au<mailto:rachel at creativecommons.org.au>

-----
Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the use of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited. The University does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are secure and there is also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214 8000 and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.