[cc-au] Events: BarCampSydney, Aus Copyright Council copyright training sessions

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 02:24:12 EDT 2008

Hello folks,

Some events of interest:

==Bar Camp Sydney==
*  April 5-6
* <http://www.barcampsydney.org/>
It seems to be free. I imagine it will be quite fun. "NO SPECTATORS,
ONLY PARTICIPANTS." Luckily y'all have interesting things to talk
about. :)

== Australian Copyright Council "copyright training" sessions ==
<http://www.copyright.org.au/training/training-2008/training2008.htm>
These courses are held in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Perth,
Melbourne, Sydney.

Level 1 courses: (no prior knowledge required)
* Copyright essentials ($115)
* Creators' reputation rights ($95)
* [Educators] Copyright overview  ($70)
* Websites  ($150) [mentions "web 2.0 and user-generated content"]
* [Governments] Using and managing copyright material  ($120)
* [Libraries] Conquering copyright ($115)

Level 2: (basic copyright knowledge assumed)
* Recent developments ($80)
* [Educators] Using AV material (including podcasts) ($115)
* [Educators] Using text & images (including internet) ($115)
* [Educators] New education technologies: copyright issues ($80)
* [Educators] Concerts, plays & musicals  ($115)
* Compliance procedures & policies ($95)
* Licences for digital resources ($80)
* Photographers & graphic designers ($115) [mentions CC]
* Protecting & exploiting your rights ($80) [mentions CC]
* Copyright permissions & clearances ($95)

They mostly go for 1-2 hours.

* Adelaide ones are in late October
* Brisbane ones are mid September
* Canberra ones are past, d'oh
* Melbourne ones are end of April and start of May
* Perth ones are end of May
* Sydney ones are June and August.

I recall that the ACC is quite negative towards CC licenses (e.g.
<http://www.copyright.org.au/pdf/acc/articles_pdf/a06n04.htm>)
but I suppose these sessions would still be quite interesting and useful.

cheers,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/