[bittorrent] Fwd: Re: Puzzled by the ed2k and filehash in torrent file

Harold Feit dwknight at depthstrike.com
Fri May 11 15:05:05 EDT 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [bittorrent] Puzzled by the ed2k and filehash in torrent file
Date: 	Fri, 11 May 2012 16:04:42 -0300
From: 	Harold Feit <dwknight at depthstrike.com>
To: 	Allan Ruin <boxoxod at gmail.com>

It's typically used by supporting clients to obtain the specific file
from the torrent via the ed2k or gnutella networks used by emule and
other clients.

Proper behavior when dealing with it is to include it in the calculation
of the infohash (since it's included in the info dictionary) and NOT
discard it.

http://wiki.depthstrike.com/index.php/P2P:Protocol:Specifications:Optional_Hashes
covers what ones exist and what they're used for.

Harold Feit
Depthstrike Entertainment
https://depthstrike.com