[bittorrent] BitTorrent - Open or Public?

apropos at lavabit.com apropos at lavabit.com
Sat Jun 18 21:20:13 EDT 2011

Thanks for the link dpmott... it might be useful to people who did not
read the BEPs carefully - as it is referenced by BEP-20 and one of the
top result on the goo.

The point is only that a rewrite could have be made instead of having
an, external, supplementary references. Only the client ID list has
resulted in a BEP - a wiki or forum topic seems more the place to do so
- as it somewhat freezes the client reference. Other details have been
left aside...

It might seems like I critic a lot and do not share any ideas about how
to I believe the situation the could be improved. Here are a couple :

1. Rewrite BEPs to make them easier to read (sectionize informations)
and more specific (what is the expected result of sending CHOKE, NOT
INTERESTED, etc) (some BEPs are fine ;). It would clearly display an
interest toward the involvement of other developers (hobbyists and
professionals) and students. Although I believe a "Rationale" section
would be in the best interest, I think it should be left to the
discretion of developers.

2. Clearly state the link between the BEP acceptance process and
BitTorrent Inc. As stated in my first message, there is a strong
relation between the two and I believe it is in the public interest to
have the company states its position towards BitTorrent's evolution.

Arvid, why is none of the extensions you gave me links for are talked
about on the forums?

P.G.